- Engineering Materials
- Timber Index
Timber as an Engineering Material
Important Note: The information on this page and on the linked pages in the table are generally
in accordance with BS 5268. This standard is now obsolete and has been replaced by Eurocode 5 (BS EN 1995-1-1 ).
Outline notes on design of timber members to the Eurocodes is provided on webpage Timber Design to Eurocodes
The information on this page (and the linked pages) is useful for initial design purposes and is generally comprehensive and clear. These pages also include
notes on adhesive joint strengths which are not included in the Eurocodes
Links Providing information on Wood
Timber is not normally considered an important engineering material
and little information is available relating to the design of timber structures. The notes referenced below provide information
on the properties of timber, the design of timber joints and the relevant British Standards.
The notes are provided as a outline guidance to the methods detailed in BS 5268 -2 ;2002 Structural use of timber Part 2: "Code of practice for permissible
stress design, materials and workmanship". For formal design work it is recommended that the quoted standard and/or quality reference sources are used.
Introduction to Structural Timber design to The Eurocodes..Very important document to latest codes :75 page document
.... Clear, informative, concise downloadable guides on materials (for a reasonable fee)
- Woodzone..Informative site providing general information
- Woodweb..Woodworking Industry Information
Wood Handbook -- Wood as an Engineering Material..Downloads ..Comprehensive Document (American ) Excellent
- Wood Guide..
Friends of the Earth Guide - Including very useful information
- Canadian Wood Council ..Excellent site on Wood Engineering - my words
- Timber Joints ..Clear diagrams illustrating various joints
- Specifying wood Based Panels for construction work ..Informative Paper with many useful reference standards identified
- Scottish Timber Trade Association..Home page with links to useful information pages.